Welcome to Barrington Homes

February 13, 2016

Certificado de Eficiencia Energetica (CEE) or Energy Performance Certificate

Filed under: Property — Barrington Homes @ 11:00 am

This blog is a gentle reminder to all in regard to the importance of ensuring your property has a Certificado de Eficiencia Energetica (CEE) or Energy Performance Certificate.  It is old news, but many of our vendors are still unaware and we would like to clarify this important document requirement when selling or even renting a property in Spain.

Since June 1st, 2013 all properties for sale or rental require an energy performance certificate also known in Spain as the Certificado de Eficiencia Energetica (CEE).  This is an EU directive and Spain is the last Country in the EU to implement it.

This new requirement was approved by Royal Decree 235/2013 on April 5, 2013 and states that all properties being offered for sale or rent must have an Energy Certificate.

Energy Certification is the process of determining the energy efficiency of a home or business. The owner of the property is legally obliged to contract a professional Technical Surveyor to carry out the assessment, to issue the certificate which should be stamped and signed by him, then duly registered with the Junta de Andalucía. They will supply the corresponding label which should be displayed on the property. Failure to comply with these requirements can lead to fines of up to 6,000 euro.

The Energy Performance Certificate will be a document required by the Notary in order to complete a sale. It is one more document, that the Notary will ask us to supply at the time of sale, but, actually, it should be acquired from the moment a “For Sale” sign is displayed. The certificate is valid for 10 years, unless any changes are made to the property when a new certificate would be required.

The energy efficiency label is similar to that shown on electrical appliances and shows an efficiency level rate on a scale from A to G, (“A” being the most efficient).

This Certificate is only required for rentals exceeding 4 months and for all properties that are for sale.

The Certificate will give recommendations for ways to improve the energetic consumption levels of the property, together with a quote for implementing these recommendations and an analysis of the economic benefits of carrying out the suggested modifications. It is not obligatory to carry out the modifications; however, it may well increase the market value of the property.

Barrington Homes Team can arrange this with our Technical Surveyor at a time of your convenience to document this officially.  If you would like to find out more about the cost and book an appointment, please feel free to contact us at info@barringtonhomes.eu



No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

« Back to blog